Baked Noodles w/Gremolata and Glazed Ham
Ingredients for Noodles
Directions for Noodles
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 (16-ounces) pkg. medium pasta shells
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 3 ½ cups half-and-half, warmed
- ½ cup whole milk, warmed
- 8 ounces fontina cheese, shredded (about 2 cups), divided
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 cups), divided - I used Chipolte Cheddar
- 1 ¼ teaspoons onion powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoons ground white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup panko
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 6 (2- x 1/2-inch) lemon peel strips, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 small garlic clove, grated
Preheat oven to 350°F with rack 10 inches from heat. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil over high. Add 1 tablespoon salt, and stir in shells; cook according to package directions for al dente. Drain shells, and transfer to a large bowl. Add 1 tablespoon oil, and toss to coat. Set cooked shells aside.
Wipe saucepan clean. Add butter, and melt over medium. Whisk in flour; cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Gradually whisk in half-and-half and milk until sauce is smooth. Bring just to a simmer over medium-high, whisking occasionally. Reduce heat to low; simmer, whisking often, until no floury taste remains, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Gradually whisk in 1 1/2 cups fontina and 1 1/2 cups cheddar until smooth. Whisk in onion powder, garlic powder, white pepper, and nutmeg. Fold in cooked shells. Season with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and black pepper. Spread mixture evenly in a 2-quart broiler-safe baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup fontina and remaining 1/2 cup cheddar.
Bake in preheated oven until bubbling around edges, about 20 minutes. Increase oven temperature to broil. (Do not remove baking dish from oven.) Broil until browned in spots, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from oven; let cool 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a medium skillet over medium. Add panko; cook, stirring constantly, until deep golden, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl, and let cool 2 minutes. Stir in parsley, lemon peel, and garlic. Season with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Serve gremolata breadcrumbs with shells.
Paired with La Storia Zinfandel Adapted from Food & Wine Nov 2021
Ingredients for Ham and Glaze
In a small sauce pan over medium heat, add all ingredients and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer for 10 minutes and remove. Let cool. Will thicken as it cools. Can be made in advance.
Saute Ham pieces in Olive Oil, add glaze and simmer for 5-10 min. Then serve with Baked Noodles.