Italian Wedding Soup with Bagueri Cab
Full of bright flavor and color, this easy recipe uses the convenience of frozen mini meatballs.
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 1/3 cups chopped onion
- 2/3 cups chopped carrot
- 2/3 cups chopped celery
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 6 cups unsalted or low sodium chicken stock
- 6 oz uncooked orzo
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 12 oz frozen min-meatballs (about 24 or so)
- 4 cups baby spinach
- Parmesan cheese for serving
- Optional: I added 2 cups of sliced mushrooms for added nutrients and heartiness
Paired with Bagueri Cabernet
- Heat oil over medium-high heat, in a large dutch oven; add onion, celery, carrot and garlic. (also add mushrooms if you are using them) Cook, stirring occasionally until onion is translucent, about 5 - 6 min.
- Add stock; cover and bring to a boil over med-high. Add orzo, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally until orzo is al dente, about 10 min.
- Stir in meatballs. Cook until meatballs are warmed through.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in Spinach. Simmer until Spinach is wilted.
- Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Adapted from Cooking Light Soups and Stews Fall 2021